Lafayette Parish – Baton Rouge and Lake Charles, Louisiana Dermatology and Medical Spa
Dermatologists are physicians that specialize in the care of the skin, hair and nails.
A Dermatologist is an expert in the health of our skin, hair and nails. The skin is the largest and most visible organ of the body. It performs a wide variety of tasks including regulating body temperature, protecting internal organs, providing sensation and participating in metabolic functions. It is important to keep this organ healthy, and when choosing a cosmetic procedure such as laser skin resurfacing, BOTOX® Cosmetic or tissue augmentation, there is nothing more vital than choosing a physician who specializes in the skin.
Dermatologists have specialized training beyond that of the general practitioner. In addition to their four years of medical school and one year residency in general medicine, dermatologists have at least three more years of intensive medical and surgical training in the specialty area of the skin, hair and nails. They can perform skin surgery to help prevent and control diseases such as skin cancer. They are also some of the pioneers of laser and cosmetic surgery and can address issues including wrinkles, scars, pigmentary changes and vein treatment. This cannot be overlooked when choosing a physician to make decisions about your skin health.
Look at these issues when choosing a doctor to make your skin look and feel its best:
- Is the doctor's practice primarily devoted to skin health and wellness? It is geared toward making you look your best?
- Would you choose a plumber to work on your car? Probably not. Then why would you choose a doctor who does not specialize in skin and who does not have the highest level of expertise regarding the quality of your skin?
- What are the doctor's credentials? Do not be afraid to ask. His or her credentials should reflect the specialty you are interested in.
- How long has the doctor been performing the procedures you are considering?
- Do you really want to be someone else's guinea pig?
- Is the doctor a recognized expert in the field?
- Does he/she teach? Is he or she involved in top organizations in the medical field?
Finally, think about this one simple truth: no one knows more, and no one can do more for the quality of your skin, hair and nails than your dermatologist. No one!
It is your right to be educated and choose the physician that fits your needs. When choosing a medical, surgical or laser procedure for skin, hair or nails be sure to see an expert in that field - a dermatologist.